Now you can Subscribe using RSS

Submit your Email

Wednesday, November 29, 2017

10 Things You Probably Didn't Know About Iceland


For those who don't know, Iceland is a Nordic Island Country of Europe located in the North Atlantic Ocean. While most people conjure images of Vikings, the 2010 eruption of Eyjafjallajökull (try saying that ten times fast) or perhaps the location of some of your favorite Game of Thrones episodes, there's a lot more to the land of Ice and Fire than you might think. Here are ten examples of what makes Iceland such a unique place.

1. The Arctic Fox

The Arctic fox is the only indigenous land mammal in Iceland and was the only land mammal prior to the arrival of humans.

2. Iceland's Population

The population of Iceland reached 300,000 in 2006. That’s less than a 5% of the population in New York City.

3. Pricey

Iceland is the 4th most expensive country in the world. The cost of living is 2.14% higher than NYC.

4. Eco-Friendly

Iceland is the only country in the world which obtains 100% of it’s energy from renewable sources. 87% of it’s electricity comes from hydro-power and the remaining 13% from geothermal power.

5. Safest Place on Earth

According to the Global Peace Index, Iceland is the most peaceful country in the world. There are only 1.3 murders per year.

6. Sheep's Head is on the Menu

Sheep’s head is a very popular meal. It is also served in the form of sviðasulta (sheep head jam) where the meat is chopped and pressed into moulds. The result is sliced and served with bread and butter.

7. Swimming Year Round

Iceland has more than 120 public swimming pools which are geothermally heated and used year-round.

8. Religion

At birth, Icelanders are registered in the Evangelical Lutheran church, the official state religion.

9. Glaciers Abound

Vatnajökull, also known as the “Water Glacier” is the third largest glacier in Europe, covering an area of 3,127 square miles.

10. Origin of "Geyser"

The English word "geyser" comes from Iceland's Great Geysir in Haukadalur.

Want to visit Iceland? We'll help you do it on a budget! Money saving tips, tricks, and itineraries

JoshMcDarris / Author & Editor

Alisha is a freelance writer and photographer based in Austin, TX. She loves her tiny house, vegan food and experiencing the community of travel in far away places. She’s also pretty sure she’s addicted to coffee. [Portfolio]


Post a Comment

Contents © 2016 TerraDrift, Blogger Templates Designed By Templateism | Templatelib | Distributed By Blogger Templates